30 September, 2009

Why bother planning Wed Sept. 29, 2009





Each day or night before a school day I try to sit down and map out a plan of what I would like to accomplish the next day. Somedays is goes as planned while others it flops-sometimes it's good sometimes it's bad-today it was good. Today was our first day in in a while-we have had some visitors, invites and dad home which was a distraction in our
school week-I did not say a bad distraction just a distraction from our normal (whatever that is) week.

I wanted to ease in slowly so I did not start midweek with our State (California) or our animal (Manatee) or our Art History Lesson (Cassatt). So I asked my lovely daughter what she would like to work on-well first she wanted to read her Felicity Book-no problem-that is where I read and she usually listens for a while then gets inspired to draw a picture from the read. Meet Felicity takes place in the late 1700's so there is all kind of
interesting words to learn-for example, Tannery, Stockings and Garter and breeches. We also learned that Felicity herself was homeschooled,
unlike Laura Ingalls Wilder* who I believe studied in a little schoolhouse. We learned that her studies included stitching an apron and writing. Carly made a lovely drawing of Felicity peering out her window. Short break and then my daugther chose Math - word problems of all things-it is a good thing that she picks Math because I sure wouldn't. After some math problems Taylor asked if we could paint on an easel.
This wrapped up school for today-we watched some movies together, made brownies and cleaned up after her new cat (Carly's sole responsibility). All in all we had a very nice, laid back but productive day together.

*Note Laura Ingalls Wilder lived in the late 1800's while Felicity took place about 100 years earlier-When posting I thought they were from the same era.

No comments:

Post a Comment