28 October, 2009

It's all about the goats

So here I am year 2 in my "new" home in Vero Beach. I can not believe that is has been that long-Taylor was just 1 and Carly just turned 4-now she is going on 7 and he will be 4 in a month. When I moved here I was still sulking about not being able to live in Georgia-something about what if hubby can't can't get work blah blah yadda yadda. Anyway, I embraced it here and I am so glad. I have great mommy friends, a beautiful home in a new town. I even started to go to Church and am helping out teaching Sunday School. Yes Me. Anyway this is an Ode to Vero Beach so to speak....
Here are some words I found to describe Vero Beach:

Homey, yet casually elegant,  cultural wealth and inherent natural beauty, rated the “Best Small Town in Florida & 12th in the Nation”,  named one of “The 100 Best Art Towns in America.”,    “Gateway to the Tropics," swaying palms, Citrus Capital of the World, some of the best places in the country for surfing and the most unique places for diving and snorkeling as well as Nature Preserves to explore.


Yes Vero Beach is one of Florida's best kept secrets. Coming from Ft Lauderdale where I have lived most of my adult life, the beach comparison played an important part in our decision to move. 
In Vero Beach not only do we live 6 miles FROM the beach compared to 15 miles in FT Lauderdale the time it takes travel to the beach is MUCH less. Wait let me explain. Vero Beach=no traffic. Vero Beach-6 miles, takes about 10 minutes included getting kids into car, running back because I forgot my tea. Ft Lauderdale - 15 miles = 55 minutes and that is JUST Driving and sitting in traffic. In Ft Lauderdale you have to pay to park, walk about 20 minutes in almost 100 degree heat and if you have kids you will be working extra hard pushing and lugging strollers, buckets, extra clothes, coolers, toys, blankets, towels, beach chairs, your kids and your husband just to wedge between another annoyed family that made it and survived and a supermodel in her thong with her muscle bound boyfriend and his "World Gym" tank top.

Vero Beach




Other words described to me about VB that I have heard in person:  coastal, country, kid friendly, hillbilly, prestigious, down home, kinda like New Orleans, shabby, beautiful, friendly and boring. Back to the Beaches. What I love about living in Florida in general (esp with kids) is that we go to the beach year round. Not always in the ocean but give a kid a bucket a shovel and a low tide you can spend more time in December at the beach than you can in July. In the summer we hunt for Sea Turtle Tracks and locate their nests, year round we feed the seagulls, collect shells, coral, driftwood, seaweed, crab shells (PU) and any thing else they can get their little hands on. And there is ALWAYS a playground nearby with even more sand and that beautiful coastal breeze. In the summer the Fountains are a hot spot. Kids running around and splashing riverside while moms catch up on the latest gossip. The parks in Vero Beach almost always have a nature trail for exploring. 
Another thing I love about Vero is that I am still finding little treasures. One day last Spring we were on out way to a Co Op at a Church. The church was on the west end of town and when I pulled up it looked like something from Little House on the Prairie - LOVE IT! Anyway I was early as usual so I decided to just ride around a bit and see what neighborhoods were close by. I drove about a half mile from the church and found a little goat farm. Yes Goats. Not open to the public but we saw them, they saw us, they BAAAHED and we shuffled for a snack for them.  We returned last weekend for a revisit-this time we were prepared and as we pulled up we saw another couple feeding them as well. My point- We have been here 2 years and I am still discovering new things that my town has to offer. At first glance one might not think Vero Beach is anything to be impressed by. However, after living here for almost 2 years now, I am happy to say that I have no regrets and that we have chosen the best place for our family to call home.


No comments:

Post a Comment