08 October, 2009

Night of the Moonjellies

I kept hearing about this book from my HomeSchool FIAR boards. While we do not official subscribe to Five in a row sometimes I steal some of their ideas and lessons. This one was a good find. I do not know if it is because we live in a coastal town, or that I have always been interested in the ocean and beach, but somehow we always linger on with our studies that have to do with this topic. Sea Turtles, Manatees and now Moon jellies-We read this book for the first time today and did not realize the endless possibilities. While at the library, I luckily picked up an extra book about Sea jellies which I was so thankful for. We read the book, had an oral quiz (so much more detail than a written one) and did an last minute art project. After the quiz Carly made up a menu of HER concession stand on the beach and got to name her restaurant and pick the food and prices. We then painted the ocean scene and decorated the page with "sea glass", "moon jellies (foil) and other odds and ends that we had around the house. I will be researching more lessons from this book, at least one more-it is so cute I would hate to return it to the library-this one might be a keeper.


After our book I had a little bit of trouble keeping the "students" motivated. In fact I was just too tired to deal with it since the past two nights I was up with Taylor and the lingering cough. Since they did not want to do school work, I had them CLEAN hee hee. They actually did a really great job.

We ended the day peacefully and Carly read Little Teddy Left Behind which was one of our favorite books from when she was about 3. Still planning our California dinner of Bean Burritos for tomorrow and Golden Gate Bridge activities as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment